Our History

First Location:
Third Baptist Church located on Saint Anthony Street southeast of Joachim Street, Mobile, Alabama in 1878

Second Location:
Franklin Street Baptist Church (Third Baptist Church) relocated on the southwest corner of Franklin Street and Saint Michael Street, Mobile, Alabama in 1902

Present location:
Franklin Street Missionary Baptist Church, 2113 St. Stephens Road, Mobile, Alabama

Pastors

Rev. Marlon E. Jones July 2012 – present
Dr. Wesley A. James – June 1988 – November 2010
Dr. Marshall F. Robinson – 1973 – 1987
Rev. Reginald Powe – Interim
Dr. U. J. Robinson – 1920 – 1972
Dr. C. L. Hutchinson – 1917 – 1919
Dr. C. L. Fisher – 1913 – 1916
Dr. William Johnson – 1912 – 1913
Dr. E. W. Isaac – Interim
Rev. Anderson M. McEwen – 1890 – 1911
Dr. Albert Owens – 1878 – 1889

Brief History

Franklin Street Baptist Church was organized in 1878 and known as Third Baptist Church located on Saint Anthony Street southeast of Joachim Street. This location was recorded in the city of Mobile Directories of 1890 and 1891. The Rev. Alford Owens was the first pastor known to all the most learned of all colored Baptist Ministers in the city of Mobile. He was highly respected by all races. The first trustees were Nathan Jones, J. E. Fish, Stanford Hayden, Nicholas Hill, Sidney Stores, Henry Austin, Tobe Burroughs and Henry Travis.

On October 21, 1902 the church purchased property located on the southwest corner of Franklin Street and Saint Michael Street. Later on January 24, 1904 the trustees called a meeting to change the name from Third Baptist to “Franklin Street Baptist Church”. On February 1, 1904 Franklin Street Baptist became incorporated. The trustees and Rev. Anderson McEwen signed the incorporation papers.

In 1970 Franklin Street Baptist Church was relocated to 2113 Saint Stephens Road. Rev. U. J. Robinson was pastor from 1920 until 1970 and became Franklin Street Missionary Baptist Church.

Rev. Wesley A. James was called to pastor Franklin Street Missionary Baptist Church in June of 1988. Under his leadership a Christian Life Center was built in 1990 and named after the late Rev. Marshall F. Robinson.